After this congressional session, what should be the major goals of the whistleblower community?
(Note that I didn’t say after WPEA passes. If it doesn’t pass this session, other goals should also be pursued. There is no logical reason why Congress can’t pursue the MSPB/OSC reauthorization in parallel to the WPEA.)
Here are some goals/ideas that have been bandied about:
1. Converting or studying the conversion of the MSPB administrative judge corps to an administrative law judge corps.
2. The abolition of MSPB (and replacing it with a better tribunal?)
3. OLC/GAO/congressional review of CSRA laws, including whether OSC and MSPB are fulfilling their mandates
4. Legislative reform of OSC to make its operations more transparent/give whistleblowers more control over their cases (similar to what was proposed in this unenacted bill).
5. Strengthening of the No FEAR Act.
6. Legislative fix to the election of remedies issue.
Other reform areas can be found here.